xmlns:fb='http://ogp.me/ns/fb#' Karen Wagner garden & design: brisbane sojourn

Monday 18 June 2012

brisbane sojourn

I have had a few weeks of total techno silence...no computer, no phone messages, very little connection....yep I went on holidays and decided that if it was to be all sun, sand and enjoyment, then a little quite from the office and technology was definitely needed.  Hence to say, it was wonderful.
I have also enjoyed getting back into it now, so maybe there is something to be said for a little techno quiet.

On my way home, I stopped in Brisbane for a little catch up with some old friends.  I spent a lot of my youth in Brisbane and haven't been there or seen said friends for quite a number of years, so it was quite wonderful to visit old 'stamping ground' and catch up.  
And I must say, Brisbane was a bit of  a revelation....so much change and so much of it done so well.

I was pleasantly and enjoyably surprised.  Brisbane has had lots of renovation and development and there is little evidence in the major public areas of severe flooding that happened last year.  And for once, I really enjoyed the semi-tropical gardens and plantings ....maybe I am just looking at them with a more mature eye?

In fact, Brisbane was absolutley buzzing and there are people out everywhere and lots and lots of things to do.  For some fabulous places to go.......

Try Jetty Oxford, a groovy little restaurant/cafe on the banks of the river at Bulimba (a rather up and coming type suburb of brisbane).  There are some lovely shops and gardens around this area also.  


For anyone into gardens or to just get a bit of an idea about semi-tropical plantings, head to the Roma Street Parkland.  This has transformed this part of town...and yes I know its been there for ages, but its wellestablished now. Its quite formal and staged but worth a look.




Head to southbank and go to the GOMA...Gallery of Modern Art.   That was really enjoyable.
Lunch in the cafe wasn't flash...but the place was buzzing on a rainy public holiday...and cold for queensland standards.
But the grounds and surrounding landscaping is lovely to look at and wander through.  Quite modern and interesting but still with a lush feel.





I didn't get to the botanic gardens this time, but I did go to the Story Bridge Hotel one night - yes one must go to the pub in Brisbane, its compulsory... and not a bad wine list.  And then for a BBQ in the park just near there the next morning....all much more upmarket than I remember...not a wino in sight!

Please excuse my photos....I had to borrow some...I lost all mine.  Some of them were lovely too.

Looking forward to getting back to Brisbane soon.




1 comment:

  1. Personalized service and offer competitive rates for all concrete edging project, we ensure that our clients will receive the Garden Edging Brisbane best possible price and high quality results. Molds range and with a huge range of color, we need you to confirm the brink of a concrete garden.

    ReplyDelete